Thursday, November 17, 2011

Sea Island, GA

I work in advertising and every now and then we get a client or a new business opportunity that is exciting to work on.  There are a lot of clients out there that do great work, but unless you're part of the target market, it's unappealing.  I had the honor of working on the USMC account for over three years and that is still my favorite account to date.

At my current agency we were pitching the Sea Island, GA business and the final presentations were held at The Cloister on Sea Island.  I'm not going to go into any of the work or results, but I'll share my experience at the hotel.

The Cloister lobby

In my opinion, Sea Island can be captured in one word - Wow.  There really was no expense spared when the new owners rebuilt The Cloister.  I took a ton of pictures, but none seem to do it justice.  Everything is in it's perfect place and every detail was thought of in decorating every room.

The back of The Cloister

I only had about an hour one morning to really tour the grounds and it wasn't nearly enough time.  I walked around the Cloister and my room and quickly to The Beach Club.  Sadly I didn't have time to tour the Spa which I hear is unlike anywhere else. 

My room was enormous.  It was probably larger than my old apartment in Midtown.  Actually, I know it was.  The bathroom had 3 different rooms for goodness sake.  

Bedroom with the most comfortable king size bed I've ever slept in

My room had a balcony that looked out to the marsh at the front of the hotel.  I should have had breakfast on the balcony, but I wasn't quite awake when it was time to eat and sat at my coffee table watching the Today Show. 


The giant tub with pillow.  It was amazing.  I watched TV in the bathroom right there in the tub the night before the meeting after a great dinner with the team.

At Sea Island you don't just get glasses for your water, you get crystal glasses on a silver tray with a silver ice bucket.  That's real, folks. 


Above is my set up for my $30 breakfast in my room.  The only real option for breakfast at The Cloister was to order to your room.  I ordered cereal and a toasted bagel.  Again, this was $30.  Maybe it was because of the 6 options I was given for my one bagel - cream cheese, butter and 4 different jellies.  $30.  

Cigar room where the guys had an after dinner smoke before bed.  I headed back to my room for my bath.  The air was recycled something like every 10 seconds.  

My room was on the second floor on the far left.  North wing. 

View from my room of the marsh and Georgia mainland. 

Again, the details of this place were outstanding.  So was the price tag.  If I hadn't been traveling for work, there is no way I could have afforded a place like The Cloister.  




Will I ever be back to Sea Island, I hope so.  I hope I don't have to pay for it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment