|My newest Gator decor!|
With the start of football season I started a wreath for my team, the University of Florida. Over the past few months each time I went to Michael's I bought some orange and/or ribbon. It feels much cheaper if you spread out the cost of the ribbon over a few trips. I also tried to get as much as possible while they were on sale.
In total, the wreath took me about 4 hours to complete, over two days. I'm SO happy how it turned out, I'm not sure I've loved any of my crafts as much as I love this one. Here is what I used to make my Gator Wreath:
- 14" foam circle from any craft store or dollar store.
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks. I used about 4 sticks on this project
- 10 or more spools of ribbon, varying widths, colors and textures. I used some thick ribbon, some very thin ribbon, some solid colors and some with patterns. I also used some glitter ribbon (I made sure it didn't shed glitter before I bought it!) I think the variety is important. Pick one solid color for your base ribbon, different from any of your other ribbon.
- Wood letters from the craft store
- Acrylic paint
The first thing I did was to wrap the green foam circle in my base ribbon so all of the green was covered. I used hot glue to hold it into place. Then I cut my ribbon in to 4 1/2" to 5" strips. To cover my wreath I cut 20 strips of each ribbon. I found that I needed some shorter strips and some a little bit longer. I measured once and then used that to cut all of the rest, nothing was too exact.
With all of the ribbon cut I folded each piece of ribbon in half and glued it together. I didn't make circles because I wanted the ribbon to stand up off of the wreath. The cutting and gluing of the ribbon might not have taken the longest, but it sure did feel that way. When all of the ribbon is glued and ready to go, it's time to start placing them on the wreath.
|You can see in the center of the wreath that I used an orange ribbon as my base.|
While I was finishing ribbon, Stephen was nice enough to paint the UF for me. When they were dry I glued them to the fatter ribbons where I wanted them to sit and they were set and ready to go. The last piece was the ribbon that hangs the wreath. I didn't glue it to the actual wreath because I may use a wreath hook at some point to hang it, so I wanted the option of taking it off.
There you have it! GO GATORS!