Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Greek Yogurt and Homemade Granola

Greek Yogurt and Homemade Granola is my favorite afternoon snack.  I eat a light breakfast, most likely some Special K cereal and by 11am I'm starving so I grab a piece of fruit.  Lunch is also small, a sandwich, salad or some soup, so by 3:30 I'm hungry again.  I love eating small meals throughout the day and really getting ready for dinner.

Stephen and I have been making our own granola for a while now based on a recipe we found on AllRecipes.com.  It's basically a mix of old-fashioned oats, any chopped or sliced nuts we have on hand, some chia seed, a little bit of coconut oil and maybe some maple syrup.  It really depends on what we have on hand.  We bought flax seed last time we were at the farmer's market but I forgot to add it to the recent batch of granola.  BUT, this time I did add some Craisins to the mix and I'm loving it.

I don't have any pictures of my snack, basically because I can't stop eating it long enough to take a picture.  Three large tablespoons of Greek Yogurt topped with a large handful of granola will hold me over until dinner.  If we have fruit on hand at home, I'll throw that in as well.  Strawberries and blueberries are my favorite additions, but bananas and some mango work well, too.

Last time we were at the farmer's market we found a banana and chocolate jam.  We had to buy it based on those two things alone.  It's like candy in a jar.  We started eating it with pretzels and couldn't stop.  Once our pretzels were gone I had to find a new use for it - Greek Yogurt to the rescue!

Adding a small teaspoon into the Greek Yogurt and mixing it together before I add the granola has taken my snack to an entire new level.  Obsessed.  Totally.  Do it - don't be scared.  Add some chocolate to your Greek Yogurt.  Add some fruit.  Go to town.  A fellow blogger has blogged about chocolate cottage cheese and it scares me, but after my chocolate Greek Yogurt experiment, it might be worth a shot!  I usually only eat my cottage cheese with pineapple, the way my mamma use to give it to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment