Friday, February 24, 2012

Kelly Clarkson: Concert Review

I love Kelly Clarkson.  I love singing along to her songs in the car.  Not just singing along, but belting out the lyrics the way she does, imagining that I sound anywhere near as amazing as she does.  I'm not a fan of American Idol, but I watched Season 1 and even voted for Kelly back in the day.  That was 10 years ago - can you believe it?

I'm a fan of concerts, live music moves me.  I especially love live music when the performer can actually sing and the lyrics are from the heart.  Kelly is perfect live.  She made it into the music industry singing live on air, we know she can actually sing without the help of the studio.  She writes her music and it's all very personal.

Kelly has been with me for 10 years on the radio. She's been with me through some great times and some horrible ones and her songs always seem to fit.  It was great to actually hear those songs live and have those feelings, good and bad, come back to me.  I welcomed the good ones with open arms and was glad to feel the bad ones knowing that as soon as the song would be over I could move on.

Kelly's performance was spot on.  She sounds amazing live.  She didn't miss notes or take any short cuts.  She even sang quite a few songs without a band, just her and the piano, so we could really hear her range.  It was a wonderful experience.  The girl can sing.  Nobody can take that from her.

The Fox Theater was a great venue for her.  It was full and while a large theater, it still felt intimate because we weren't in a huge arena.  The stage was pretty neat, to me it looked like a throw back to the stages in the 50s and 60s.

She sang all the songs that I wanted to hear.  She even covered a Whitney Houston song with a surprise guest - Exhale (Shoop Shoop) - with Tamyra Gray who was also on American Idol.  Man, I'd go to a Tamyra Gray concert!  That girl can sing, too.  The two of them singing together was pure perfection.  I'm sure someone has put a video on YouTube by now - check it out.

The night was just perfect.  I had my man with me in a beautiful theater listening to a perfect voice.  I can't say Thank You enough to Stephen for joining me at the concert.  I know he didn't want to go, but he did because I wanted him with me.  Such a great man.

The night was not without flaws, but they are easy to overlook because none of them were Kelly's fault.  Some people in the crowd were just plain obnoxious.  Kelly would be singing a song, just her and the piano, and the theater would be quiet and some idiot would yell, "I Love you Kelly!" Really, that's what you thought would make that moment better?  Thanks for adding that to my experience.  And maybe it's just our exact row, but the lights from the stage would sometimes catch us right in the eyes.  Quite annoying, but again, I'll look over that because of how great the show itself was.

I'd like to see the pop start of today try to do what Kelly did last night.  I dare them.  Bravo, Kelly.  Bravo.

(No, I don't have any pictures, I enjoyed the show without distracting myself with a camera)  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment