Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Fig Preserves from Serenbe


Sometimes you get a gift or recommendation that you appreciate at the time but you have no way of knowing how great it really is until after the fact.  While we were in Serenbe to tour the HGTV Green Home, our host who has been to Serenbe a few times for other tours bought us some Fig Preserves.  They were made right there in town and sold at the General Market and we also saw them at the restaurant where we dined that night.  I'm not sure this blog post will be able to describe how much I love Fig Preserves, but I'll give it a shot.  I could be the freshness of the preserves, but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that I'll love any Fig Preserves that come my way.  (When we were there we actually saw them packaging the Peach Preserves and putting them right out on the shelf for sale - that stuff is fresh!)

I've put the preserves on almost everything I've consumed at home.  For breakfast, I've added a spoonful to my Greek Yogurt - when it's mixed in with the strawberries and granola it adds a sweetness that I was missing before.  For lunch I've invented the best sandwich ever: a Toasted Fig and Cheese Sandwich with slices of Bacon.  OMG.  I started with just the toasted bread, fig preserves and a slice of
havarti cheese.  I was in love.  The next day I made it for Stephen and he suggested we add bacon, pretty male thing to do.  It made it even better!  I'm pretty sure I've had 3 of those sandwiches in the past 5 days.  I haven't tried it yet, but it was suggested to me to make a pizza with the preserves as the base.  On top of that you add arugula and feta cheese and I'd think some chopped walnuts or even some sliced almonds would be perfect.

I have to head home at lunch to take care of the dogs, I know I'll be having one of my favorite sandwiches again - just like yesterday.  Then we're out of bread and I have to come up with another plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment