Monday, March 12, 2012

Skin Trauma- I finally did it

In my very first post I wrote about how this blog was going to chronicle all of the new things that I planned to do before my 30th birthday.  Well, that day is only 2 days away and this weekend I did one of the things on my list that was most terrifying - I got a bikini wax.

I'm not going to go in to great detail, but some of the story is too funny not to tell.  I promise not to get graphic.

The day started as "Katie's Beautification Day" when I got my hair done, sat for a mani/pedi and spent time outside enjoying the warm weather and sun.  Then it was time for my appointment at Sweet Samba in Midtown.

I told the lady that I was very nervous and that it was my first time, she told me I had nothing to worry about.  Since when do strangers lie to your face?!

Right off the bat - if you're a shy person, the waxing process is not for you.  This new stranger is all up in your business with a giant bright light.  Then the waxing begins.  The first 10 seconds after each strip is ripped off is intense pain.  It hurt so bad I couldn't stop laughing, why was I doing this to myself??!!  My skin is SUPER sensitive so I was very worried going into the session, I was right to worry.  My skin immediately turned bright red.  I was told it was red because it was going through "skin trauma".  That's exactly right.

Then it was time for the backside.  This is when awkwardness was taken to a brand new level.  The pain is nothing to worry about in this area, and that's all I'll say about it.  But the lady doing the waxing, what ever her name was, knows more about me than even my family.

My worst fears about waxing came true and my skin is not handling the experience very well.  From what I've read on the Internet, I'm not the only one to react with such sensitivity, but I have no idea to tell if I have a severe reaction, or a typically one for sensitive skin.  I have such a great week ahead, I don't want to deal with sensitive skin any more.

Overall - if every time I get waxed my skin reacts this way, I'm never doing it again.  I hear it gets better each time you go, but I'm not willing to take a chance.  I waited almost 30 years to try waxing, I can go another 30 never doing it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment