Monday, July 9, 2012

Blueberries

After our hang gliding adventure we stopped at a private farm on the way home and picked some blueberries.  It was $6 for a bucket of the little blue wonders and it took three of us about 30 min to pick that many berries.  Absolutely worth the time and sweat (it was noon on one of our 100 degree days here in Georgia).

With so many berries in the house I wanted to make sure they were used and didn't get thrown away - it would have been a shame to waste fresh as can be blueberries.  Of course we've been putting them on our Greek Yogurt every time we eat it, but it was obvious that we weren't going to be able to eat them all that way and I started looking for fun recipes for them.

Source: Want What You Have.
My cookies looked exactly like this when they came out of the oven.
The first one I found was for Blueberry Cookies.  OMG.  They are amazing.  Check out the recipe on the Want What You Have blog.  The cookies lasted about 3 days in our house and they were gone.  I got about 24 cookies out of the recipe, not 3 dozen like she did.  The next time I make these I may add some sliced almonds to see how they taste.

The next recipe was for Blueberry Muffins.  Growing up, blueberry muffins were our weekend treat, Betty Crocker style.  You know the ones, with the can of small blueberries included in the box.  Delicious, but not homemade.  I found a recipe on Allrecipes.com and found the To Die For Blueberry Muffins Recipe.  With over 5700 reviews/ratings and a 4.5 Star rating, I had to give them a shot.  Stephen and I may have devoured all 12 muffins in one day.  (The recipe says to make only 8 large muffins, but I went ahead and made 12 regular muffins.)  I'm glad I went for a run Saturday morning!  The only change I made use Coconut Oil instead of Vegetable Oil.  Scrolling through some of the 500+ photos that have been uploaded for the recipe, I noticed that not everyone added the the crumb topping.  PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU ADD THE CRUMB TOPPING.  It's the perfect touch to the perfect muffin.  I only used about half of what the recipe makes because all of my muffins had a nice cover of the mixture.

Do you have any blueberry recipes that you love to make?  We still have about 2 cups left!

No comments:

Post a Comment