Monday, September 10, 2012

Book Review: Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)

That's a really long book title.  While I was reading it I just referred to as Mindy Kaling's book but that confused people, so then I said Kelly from The Office and that got everyone with me.  Now I know why some actors use their own name when creating a character on TV, sometimes your character's name is more recognizable than your own.  Does anyone know the actor who played Carlton on The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air?  If you said it, I wouldn't even know if you were right.

Source: Amazon.  I got the book on my Kindle so I don't have a picture of the cover, again.


When I found out that Mindy wrote for The Office, I had to pick up her book.  I think she's an amazing talent, acting and writing, so I had to support her.  I also thought the book would be perfect for Honeymoon, beach reading.  Oh yes, it was.  The book is quick and because it's really a discussion and stories about different times in her life and different experiences, it was easy to stop and start when I wanted to get into the water to cool off.

I found myself reading several paragraphs here and there out loud to Stephen because they were so funny.  Her time on SNL as a writer and how she feels about fashion had me laughing out loud while sipping on my vodka tonic.  She's done so much more in Hollywood than I was aware of, go Mindy!

I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn a little bit more about the world of a writer, a funny person and/or someone of a different ethnicity.  Some of her discussion about her family were hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment