Friday, September 14, 2012

Mae's Bakery: Restaurant Review


Living in Grant Park definitely has it's perks.  I'm close to work, we're close to Braves games and we're super close to the highway so we can get anywhere in the city pretty quick (when there isn't traffic).  One of the downsides is being on the opposite side of town from Mae's Bakery.  The bakery opened just a few weeks ago on Lenox Road, in the shopping center that is home to Roasters.  I wish they were closer to my house, for purely selfish reasons of course. 

Bakery and coffee shops can feel like they're trying too hard to be comfortable, but Mae's hits it right on the nose.  The interior is beyond welcoming and calming, like they are inviting you into their home.  They are still working out what to put on the walls, but even without the added decor, the dining room (is it called that in a bakery?) is a place you want to sit and relax.  I did sit for a few minutes while I was there and the chairs are amazing.  I know it's not something I would normally call out in a restaurant review, but these chairs were awesome.  I said to one of my co-workers who was with me on my visit, "they're so comfortable, they fit your butt!"  I hate sitting in a chair that feels one inch too narrow, right?  

Don't you want to climb behind the counter and join them!
Mae's is open in the morning for breakfast and stays open until 7pm which is perfect for those heading home from work who need that extra pick-me-up cup of coffee (which is DELICIOUS) or a little cupcake treat for dessert.  We visited at lunch time before heading over to Roasters for lunch.  Afternoon snacks purchased, the rest of the work day didn't seem so bad.

I'm in love with the interior decor.  Check out that lamp! 
Now let's talk menu.  I haven't had a chance to try all of their cupcakes or sweets because owner, Beth, is constantly adding to her menu.  Just today while we were there she had added moon pies and was talking about a brand new goodie for the fall that she was going to make for the first time later today.  The cupcakes are perfect every time.  Trust me, try to prove me wrong.  In addition to the cupcakes, Beth serves up cookies, whoopie pies, the new moon pies, chocolate croissants, and muffins.  I bought two muffins, one blueberry and one chocolate banana, for breakfast tomorrow.  It's a test in my will power not to touch them, they are so tempting every time I walk through the kitchen and catch a whiff of them sitting on the counter.

I wish I lived closer to Mae's Bakery.  You're lucky if you do.  Check them out.

*I was not compensated in any way for this post.  

No comments:

Post a Comment