Monday, September 26, 2011

Sheena's New Home



If you know me, you know that I have the tendency to stress out quickly in some situations.  If I feel like I've lost control, I stress out.  We had a 2nd dog in the house for a week.  We've had a 2nd dog a few times, but this was different because we had to keep her separate from Mabel.  I was stressed.  But not only did we have to take care of Sheena, we had to find her a home.

Through the wonders of social networking we were able to find a couple who wanted to adopt Sheena in Auburn, AL.  We spent most of the week emailing and on phone calls to make sure they were the right home for the adorable puppy.  Stephen and I decided that they passed all of our questions and concerns so I was driving out there Saturday morning to see their house and introduce them and their dog to Sheena.

The drive was fine, she slept the entire way and as soon as we got to the house she was playing in the backyard with their dog.  The couple was great and it was obvious they love their pets and take good care of them.  Sheena will have a playmate and a big, fenced in backyard to run.  Leaving was very difficult for me.  I knew I liked her, but I didn't know how much until I had to say goodbye to her.  I started crying immediately and had to quickly leave the house.  I cried a lot of the 90 min drive home, happy tears and sad tears.  She's in a better place with a home that is perfect for her.

During this process it was shocking to me how many dog rescue groups are out there and how little they can do to help someone in our situation.  They want to save the animals, yet when someone is in need of a foster family, not a single one from Atlanta to Memphis could help.  If we were in a situation where we absolutely couldn't have kept Sheena in the house, we would have had to take her to Animal Control where she would have been put down in 5 days.  Some of the shelters or rescue groups I called didn't even respond or I got an automatic email response to my requests for help or informaiton.  I understand that there are a lot of stray and unwanted dogs out there and I don't have the solution, but it seems to me the current system is flawed.  And there needs to be some awareness on the issue - if you find a dog, shelters can't help, the Humane Society can't help, don't even bother calling.  The websites where you should be able to post that you found a dog, don't help.  It's one of the most frustrating situations.  I'm just glad that we were able to give her a home for a week.

Stephen and I with miss that silly little face around the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment