Sunday, October 7, 2012

Crock Pot Challenge Meal #6: Egg & Broccoli Casserole

We're almost to the halfway point of the challenge.  My sixth meal was a breakfast meal for a chilly Sunday morning in Atlanta.  It should have been an easy set up - dump everything in the crock pot, cook for an hour, stir, cook for a few hours more.  Done.

Well, I dropped a glass bowl (well, it kinda launched at the puppy) and it shattered all over the tile and hardwood floors.  Mess #1.  Then I had to melt some butter, so I turned to the microwave.  I left it in for about one second too long and it exploded all over the inside of the microwave.  Have you ever had butter dripping from the top of the microwave?  The glass turntable coated in a layer of butter?  Mess #2.  Then, when I thought I was all good to go, I set the crock pot to LOW for the first hour instead of HIGH.  Awesome.

Well, while breakfast cooked I was able to vacuum the house to pick up all the glass, Stephen cleaned the microwave and all of the dog blankets are getting washed because they were in the shatter zone of the bowl I broke.

It was 10am and we still hadn't eaten, so we were entering the Brunch arena vs. the Breakfast arena.  Oh well.  We finally at at 10:30am.  It was delicious.

With only 2 of us eating together this morning, I cut the recipe in half.  To the crock pot I added 12 oz of cottage cheese, half a package of frozen broccoli (defrosted and drained - don't break the glass), one cup of shredded cheddar cheese, 3 beaten eggs, 1/4 cup of flour, 1/8 cup melted butter, small amount of onion and 1/4 tsp of salt.

The end product was a little bit fluffier than I thought it would be, but that's probably because of the backwards way we cooked.  While the meal was headed towards the trashcan early on, it turned out to be a Keeper on the Stephen Scale.  It's a wonderful egg dish for brunch.  It would be great for mornings with company, or Christmas morning.

I don't have any pictures, add that to the things I failed to do with Meal #6.  I'm going back in the bedroom to start the day over.  Reset!

No comments:

Post a Comment