Monday, August 1, 2011

Chelsea Handler at Chastain


Chelsea Handler is one of the funniest people on TV, in my opinion.  She says a lot of the things that I’m thinking and I’m too afraid to say out loud.  When I saw that she was coming to Atlanta, Kristen and I jumped on the tickets. 

Chastain Amphitheater, one of my favorite places on earth

The first show she had the flu and was rescheduled.  BUMMER because I’d passed on some really awesome plans for that afternoon because I had her show that evening.  The rescheduled show was during one of the hottest weeks in Atlanta.  Hot and rainy.

Our seats were in the general admission area of Chastain.  Normally when I go to a show there I get a table or assigned seating, so this was new.  It was new, but perfect for a standup show.  For a concert you want to be close and have space to dance around, for standup it was okay that we were just sitting around listening.  It was also perfect because for the first comedian’s routine it started to rain.  Because we had the trees above us we didn’t get as wet as the rest of the audience. 

On the show itself, it left a lot to be desired.  The opening comedians (they said their names once and I’ll never remember a name just once) were good, but there was a lot of sex and pop culture humor.  Nothing too original.  When Chelsea came out it was pretty much what I expected.  She was funny, but definitely not long enough.  The show ended by 10:00 – with FOUR comedians.  That’s only 30 min each.  Boo to that.  Chelsea was in jeans with her hair back and wearing what I thought were keds from so far away, so she was totally casual.  The jokes were funny, a lot about different cultures and gay people, but again, nothing too original.  Nothing that made me really laugh out loud. 

Not that the night was a disappointment.  It was a lot of fun and a new experience.  I like new experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment