Monday, January 16, 2012

Annie the Musical - Show Review


As a young girl, I think it's just part of growing up that you know and love the Annie soundtrack.  I didn't remember much about the musical except for the songs and the characters.  I even forgot there was a dog in the show!  I know I never saw the actual musical as a kid, I guess I only saw the movie once or twice.  I was much more interested in Disney movies - I grew up in Orlando, that was necessary.

When Stephen's mom said she had an extra ticket to the show I jumped at the chance to join her.  (I will admit, I thought Stephen would join us, but he passed.  I guess Annie isn't a great show for a 20-somthing male.)

The Fox Theater was swimming with kids dressed in their Sunday best.  It was great to see all the kids so dressed up and excited.  I wonder how many of them were visiting The Fox for their first time.  I'd bet that the adult to kid ratio was pretty even.

The young girl who plays Annie was great.  Her voice was amazing for such a young girl and at times I forgot she was a child actor.  There were times when I wished she had put more emotion into a few of her dance moves, but who am I kidding, there is no way I could remember all the lines and movements that she did, she had to be concentrating at some times.  Bravo!

The cast of orphans was HUGE with 6 other young girls as Annie's good friends.  There was a younger girl, she is 7, playing Molly and she absolutely stole the show.  She danced like she was at home putting on a show for her family and was so extremely excited about all of her lines.  It was obvious that the rest of the audience felt the same way.  I guess I just don't know what young kids can do, not having any of my own, but I was very impressed with the professionalism of all of the child actors.

I was surprised at the plot itself, I guess as a kid I never really picked up on the political aspects of the show or how much of an effect the Great Depression had on all the characters.  (See, it has been a LONG time since I saw the movie.)  But I was glad I didn't know the show from start to finish, I like being a little surprised in a show.

Miss Hannigan was played by Sally Struthers, best known for All in the Family for which she won two Emmys.  She was fabulous.  I'm not very familiar with her outside of knowing that All in the Family was on TV at one point and that I've heard her name here and there.  Regardless of how famous she is, it was great to see her get down and dirty with the kids and really throw herself into the choreography.

All in all the show was fabulous.  I highly recommend it to anyone with young girls, or those who are still young girls at heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment