Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Kick-Ass: Movie Review

Before I get into the movie review I want to share one thing I learned last night while cooking.  I was making a home-made mac n cheese with chicken and peas.  The recipe called for shredded American cheese, but while I was at the grocery store, I didn't see any blocked American cheese in the dairy section.  I was distracted, hungry and ready to get home after a long day so I grabbed some shredded cheddar instead.  DON'T DO THAT!  They don't melt the same.  While trying to mix the cheddar into the hot macaroni noodles it didn't distribute through the pasta and made one giant clump.  It still tasted great, but would have been better with more cheese.  I guess I went with a lighter version of the recipe...

Source: Wikipedia

Back on track: onto the movie review.  I'm not really a comic book movie type of person.  (I just realized that haven't written my review of Captain America yet.)  I had this movie in my Netflix queue for a while and it finally made it to the top.  I'm not sure why it was even in the queue in the first place, but that's neither here nor there.

Like most of the other comic book movies I've seen I figured there would be some fighting, an unrealistic love connection, bad guys and some impossible moves during the fight scenes.  Check, check, check and check.  What I didn't expect was to see Nicolas Cage (I didn't really do much research on the movie before I rented it) or the gruesome nature of the fighting.  The movie was much darker than I ever imagined and pretty violent.

The story begins with a regular teenager, Dave.  He has close friends but is invisible to ladies.  He gets a crazy idea that he needs to become a superhero to help fight crime in NYC.  He has no crime fighting skills, no super powers, no angry rage to fuel his aggression.  He's lucky and helps save a guy getting attacked by 3 men and becomes a hero overnight.  While fighting crime he meets other "superheroes" and these new local heroes anger the city's largest drug dealing family.  The drug kingpin is out to get Kick-Ass and the rest of the masked team.

There were quite a few plot twists that I didn't expect from what I remembered of the movie trailer.  Halfway through the movie I said to Stephen that I didn't like it at all, but the final fight scene was pretty crazy and that saved it for me.  Don't get me wrong, it wasn't that I liked it, but it was definitely not something I expected and it was pretty ridiculous.

Overall, I give the movie 3 out of 5 stars.  It wasn't a horrible movie, the story was interesting and original(ish) and it wasn't predictable.  Now would I watch it again or recommend it to my sister, nope. But it was a good 90 min or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment