Thursday, October 6, 2011

3:10 to Yuma: Movie Review

My dad likes Westerns.  A lot of guys like Westerns.  Some of them are pretty good, I'm sure of it, I've been told they are.  The genre wouldn't have lasted this long if people didn't like them.  I've learned I'm not one of those people.  They are too slow for me.  I keep imagining how smelly and dirty people must have been back then.  I don't like when the horses fall down or get hurt, even worse killed.  I much prefer a nice RomCom or Drama.  But I wanted to give 3:10 to Yuma (released in 2007) a chance, a new thing everyday - right?

The movie follows outlaw, Ben Wade, played by Russell Crowe, and rancher Dan Evans, played by Christian Bale.  Ben has finally be captured after committing over 20 robberies of caravans carrying the railroads paycheck money.  Dan Evans helps in his capture and for money to pay off some debts he agrees to help take Ben to the 3:10 to Yuma train to take him to go to trial and to hang.  While in custody, Ben's outlaw gang is following the team as they transport Ben trying to free him before they reach the train.  Of course nothing goes smoothly for the good guys.

The movie moved very slowly, especially in the beginning.  It was also hard for me to watch Christian Bale in such a down-and-out role.  I wanted him to be strong and confident like his other movies that I like.  He was not Batman... And if you've seen the movie - what did you think about Luke Wilson??!!  I cracked up when he came on screen.  Not who I expected to see there.

I give the movie 2 out of 5 stars.  The acting was great, the locations were beautiful and the story one that probably took place many, many times as the railroad extended West which is interesting.  However, no more Westerns for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment