Monday, April 23, 2012

SweetWater 420 5k and Festival



Another 5k under my belt.  My goal is to keep improving on my time with each race, and I'm doing that, but to be honest, not as much as I wanted or thought I would.

Stephen and I ran the SweetWater 420 5k on Candler Park Saturday morning with about 2500 of our closest friends.  I heard that the course was hilly and boy, that was an understatement.  There were some pretty serious hills at about the half mile mark, the 2 mile mark and just before the finish.  It was a gorgeous route that we took, the houses are pretty and the park is really nice, but I hated the finish.

Most races you can see the finish coming and you know to give your last big push.  With this race the last quarter of a mile or so is up a hill and then you round a corner to the finish.  Unless you're tracking your distance on your own GPS, there was no way to know that you were approaching the finish line.  It only gave you about 30 yards to push hard.  If I had known I was so close to the finish I definitely would have run harder.  I was saving some energy for that last push, but didn't know when I needed to start.  More signs or staff along the way cheering us on would have helped.

I finished with an official time of 35:49.  That put me in 147th place for my age group and 1422nd overall.  If you don't want to do the math, I ran an 11:33 mile.  That's better than before, but I know I can do better.

The full list of results can be found here.

The best part of the race was that with registration came your wristband for the SweetWater 420 Fest that started after the race and a free beer with the race t-shirt.  Stephen and I headed home after the race to shower and change then we went back to the park to enjoy the festival for a few hours.

It was a perfect weather weekend.  Sunday we hit up the Dogwood Festival in Piedmont Park where we had VIP tickets for the Taste of Dogwood with free food and drinks.

Not a bad weekend.  On to the wedding planning!

No comments:

Post a Comment