Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Chia Seeds

Has anyone else been hearing about Chia Seeds non-stop?  Maybe it's just the blogs I read or looking for super healthy recipes before the wedding, but I keep running into Chia Seeds with testimonials on how great they are for you.  So, being one to give new things a shot, I hunted some down at Whole Foods over the weekend.   The bag below was $15 at Whole Foods - ouch.  I've done some research and they're available online at a much lower cost.  If I buy into the health benefits of Chia Seeds we'll be purchasing that way from now on.



I first heard about Chia Seeds when I started doing research on Overnight Oatmeal.  Our mornings are super crazy now with a puppy who needs to constantly be watched which is cutting into my calm, relaxed mornings spent watching 10 min of the Today Show while eating a bowl of cereal.  No joke, I ended up wearing a bowl of Raisin Bran one morning after Goose decided to get my attention by jumping at me.  Check out this recipe for Overnight Oatmeal from one of the blogs I read regularly.  I'll try to remember to make some of those tonight and report back tomorrow.

Chia Seeds apparently have a TON of benefits.  They are extremely nutritious with a ton of protein, healthy fats like Omega 3 and fiber.  They expand when they soak up liquid around them, filling your stomach and keeping you full longer.  They also help diabetics and those suffering from acid reflux or even poor digestion.  See, wonder food!  They are gluten free and easy to digest.  The list could go on, do some Internet research.  Note: the bag is small, but a daily serving size is between a teaspoon and tablespoon, so it should last us a week or two.

In the Overnight Oats recipe the blogger mentions adding Chia Seeds to help the consistency of  the oats in the morning.  As I said, I plan to use them in the oats when I get around to cooking with them, but I also plan on adding them to the homemade granola that I make to add to my Greek Yogurt and I found a few other recipes.  Last night Stephen added the seed to his protein shake after working out.

This morning I made us a quick breakfast with the seed.  I also saw this recipe on the blog Peanut Butter Fingers.  For a quick breakfast full of protein and the chia seed, spread peanut butter on a whole wheat tortilla and top with a teaspoon of chia seeds.


I'm not a super fan of peanut butter and I think I went a little overboard this morning.  I'll cut back next time.  The next and final step is to wrap a banana in the tortilla and eat.  It is now lunch time and I'm still full from breakfast.  That rarely happens and it was a delicious breakfast!  I can't wait to do it again, but definitely with less peanut butter.  Stephen didn't have any complaints about his breakfast, he loved it.  

Any feedback on adding Chia Seeds to your diet?  I'm looking forward to seeing if I notice any health benefits of my teaspoon a day.  

1 comment:

  1. Hey Katie
    Its nice to read about your thoughts on chia seeds, makes me share some of mine. I also use true elements chia seeds and they are definitely very helpful to me throughput the day. I consume it in the morning after soaking overnight and sometimes I prepare chia seed pudding and its delicious. I tend to try new experiments with these superfoods, so, would definitely love to try Peanut Butter Fingers. Thanks again for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete