Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Overnight Oats

Yesterday I wrote about Chia Seed and looking for ways to incorporate those into our diet.  One of the first places that I saw Chia Seed mentioned was on the blog Peanut Butter Fingers when she wrote about her Overnight Oats.  We have a giant bag of oats at our house and we go through $4 boxes of the healthy cereal faster than we can bring it in the house so giving the Overnight Oats a shot seemed like a good idea.

The recipe from PBF has the following ingredients:

  • Old fashioned oats (2/3 cup)
  • Milk (1/2 cup of milk)
  • Chia seeds (2 tablespoons)
  • Greek yogurt (6oz - about 3/4 cup - I eyeballed it)
I had all of that on hand at the house, and we were off!  Before we went to bed I mixed all the ingredients together and covered and put in the fridge for the night.  This morning, like PBF suggested, I added a splash of milk to the bowl to loosen it up a bit and to give it more of the oatmeal consistency that I like.  Stephen ate his cold and I warmed mine up for about a minute.  It wasn't hot, but not cold either - it was just right.  Our bowls were topped off with some fresh strawberries and breakfast was served.  

What another great breakfast!  The bowl was about 3 or 4 spoonfuls too much for me so I may cut it down a bit next time we make it.  I put it back in the fridge and I'll heat it up when I go home at lunch to let the dogs out.  

There are a bunch of Overnight Oats recipes out there so I'll play around with some and try adding new ingredients, but now I know I like it and it makes me happy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment