Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Which one is the Turkey Burger?


For lunch yesterday my friend/co-worker and I decided to use ScoutMob to find a new place to eat lunch near our office.  (If you don’t use ScoutMob, you’re crazy).  She is supportive of my decision to try new things everyday and she’s joining in when she can.  We decided on Buns & Shakes on Auburn Ave in Downtown.  It was a quick, entertaining walk from the office.  Let’s just say that it wasn’t the normal neighborhood that I walk through everyday.  Or have ever before.  We were met by several people who know the streets much better than the two of us.  One was even talking to the buildings as he walked.

We were one of 3 tables in the entire place and it sounded like everyone in there was using the ScoutMob discount.  I’m not quite sure how it will survive when the deal expires in a few days. 

The decor of the one-room restaurant leaves a lot to be desired.  I’m not a complete restaurant snob, I enjoy good food and I’ll go where they serve it.  But this place was a mess.  The chairs were lumpy, the “booths” were actual pillow cushions nailed to wooden beams and all of the tables were falling apart.  I wouldn’t’ even hang my jacket on the back of the chair.  No soda machine (even my office has one!), the kitchen looked dirty and I didn’t even venture into the bathrooms.



The menu has exactly what it claims to have in the name of the restaurant – Buns: round, long, flat and a variety of shakes.  My friend ordered the Turkey Burger and I ordered a 6 oz burger, each with sweet potato fries.  When they came out, we couldn’t tell which was which.  I ended up eating the Turkey Burger.  Awesome.  It was good, but nothing special.  Our total bill was $20 (pretty steep for 2 burgers and fries!) but thank goodness we had 50% off the bill. 

Turkey burger?  yes


Needless to say, I won’t be going back.  Check that one off the list!

2 comments: