Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Blue Valentine



Blue Valentine is easily my pick for best movie of the year.  I'll admit that I haven't seen Social Network which is thought to be the obvious winner, but I can't imagine that it is any more well acted or moving as Blue Valentine.  I think being NC-17 is what is ultimately going to hurt its chances.  (It was my first NC-17 movie!)

Ryan Gosling is unbelievable in his range of emotions and I forgot how great of an actress Michelle Williams is.  I realized at one point in the movie that I hadn't seen her since the Dawson Creek days.  Their relationship on screen was 100% authentic.  It was so believable at times it was very difficult to watch as they fell apart.

The sexual scenes were graphic, which gave it the NC-17 rating, but nothing seemed too over the top or too graphic.  The scenes fit perfectly with the story and, in my opinion, nothing seemed to go beyond what hasn't been seen before.  I can't believe that a movie as honest as Blue Valentine is handed a NC-17 rating and there are 5+ Saw movies that show God knows what on screen, I won't watch those.

Blue Valentine for Movie of the Year and Ryan and Michelle deserve them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment