Tuesday, May 17, 2011

I Feel So Violated

Last night was just a regular night.  I made dinner, watched a movie (more on that later) and was reading a book until Stephen was to come over when my doorbell rang.  Of course, I thought it was Stephen so I ran to answer.  Turns out it was my neighbor letting me know that my poor car had just been broken into.  Now I have an alarm on the car which didn't go off and I don't keep anything of value in my car so there wasn't a reason for them to pick my car other than I must have left a door unlocked.  I've never left my car unlocked, but last night must have been someone's lucky night.

They stole my computer that I got in 2000 when I went off to college, it's 7 years older than my car.  I had it in the trunk to take somewhere to donate.  No big loss there.  They also took a small flashlight I had in the glovebox and the worst, Stephen's wallet.   Luckily he had his ID and debit card with him so he was able to quickly cancel his credit card.

Nothing irreplaceable was taken, nothing was broken and they left behind a lot of things that if they were real thugs they would have taken (CDs, Netflix movies to be returned, phone charger...) but only those three things were taken.  I even had clothes in the car and those were left behind.  Stupid kids.  It's just huge violation of my privacy and personal space. The cops came, took down a report, but I'll never see my stuff again.



I thought my new thing of the day was going to be watching Winter's Bone.  The movie got so much buzz at Oscar time, I had to see it.  It had been sitting on my TV stand for a month, so it was about time! The story was quite startling.  I know there are lives out there similar to those in the film and I'm thankful for everything that I have in my life.

Another motivation for watching the movie was to get to see Jennifer Lawrence act.  Winter's Bone is her only big movie to date and she's been cast as Katniss Everdeen in the Hunger Games movies.  I thought it was a horrible casting decision but last night she changed my mind.  I see a lot of Katniss in her Winter's Bone character, Ree.  She is so glamourous on the red carpet and in interviews but playing Ree was 100% opposite of that.  I'm happy with her as Katniss.

Winter's Bone isn't a lift me up, feel good movie.  Scenes will stick with you after the credits end.  Would I be as strong as Ree in trying to save her family?  Thankfully I'll never have to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment