Thursday, May 26, 2011

Running a new Route

I'm pretty set in my ways when it comes to running.  I don't like to take a new route.  No real reason, most of the time I know where roads are going so it's not that I'm going to get lost, but I like to stick to what I know.  And let's be honest, the 3.2 mile route that I run right now is pretty challenging with the hills and stairs.

Last night I ran at Stephen's house.  Complete change of scenery.  More of a street run than a park run for starters.  Then there is the elevation changes.  Holy Hell are there a lot of hills around his house!  We ran a 2.1 mile route that about kicked my butt.  I didn't stop running, but I put up a fight with my self and I snapped at Stephen a few times when I couldn't even see the top of the hill that we were running.  (Sorry!!!  I wasn't mad, just struggling to survive!)  Click here to see the route.

But I did it.  I ran a new route and ran two days in a row.  From now until the Peachtree there is no missing my running days!  I have to be able to run 6.2 miles on July 4th.

The best part of the run last night was our quick stop in Grant Park.  I've only been to Grant Park once for an Alzheimer's walk and I didn't really take it all in.  I'm looking forward to spending more time around there with Stephen and Mabel.  There is so much history in Atlanta - I need to go out and find it! Here is a little history of how Grant Park came to be from the official Grant Park website:

The Grant Park neighborhood was named for Lemuel P. (L.P.) Grant, a civil engineer for the Georgia Railroad who has been called the "Father of Atlanta." As an agent for the Western Railroad Company and the Georgia Air Line Railroad, Grant helped to bring the railroad to Atlanta. During the Civil War, in his capacity as chief engineer for the Department of the Militia, C.S.A., he planned and supervised the construction of defensive lines around the city. Ater the war, he continued to serve the city as a member of the committee that named streets, member of the city council, Board member of the Bank of the State of Georgia and served on the committee to draft the new city charter in 1873.


I think it's fascinating that I live in a city with such a rich history.  I can't wait to go to Oakland Cemetery, also built on land from Mr. Grant. 



No comments:

Post a Comment