Monday, May 2, 2011

We got him!

Waking up the morning and getting out of the shower I was told the news that last night Osama Bin Laden was killed by US forces.  I can't really explain it, but a wave of peace came over me.  It took almost 10 years to pay him back for what he did to our country and citizens, but we did not back down, we did not give up.  One thing that really stuck out to me is that after all the destruction that he caused and all of the hate the he fueled,  we still buried him according to Muslim traditions.  Tell me that would have happened if it were the other way around...

Front page of the AJC this morning

Thanks to all of the men and women who have fought for our country or given the ultimate sacrifice to secure our freedom over the past decade.  God Bless the USA.

Now on to the weekend recap...

Friday night I saw Water for Elephants with Jessica.


I loved the book, read it on one single day, and was very anxious for the movie.  It got a lot of mixed reviews, but I knew it was going to stick to the book so I would like it.  I give it a 3 out of 5.  I've told a few people, but I think the book moved faster than the movie.  On screen it felt rushed and the character development didn't seem to happen.  I don't think there was a lack of chemistry between Robert and Reece, but I don't think film version allowed the audience to see how strong their connection was.  I'll add this to the long, long list of books that are better than the movies.

Saturday was Ashely Fest.  The Inman Park Festival was all weekend and my friend Ashely decided to host a BBQ at her place like Michelle and I hosted for the Dogwood Festival.  It was fantastic!  So many great people came out.  Saturday night was an engagement party for two of my best friends, Hanieh and Briton.  It was one of the most beautiful and love filled events I've been to outside of an actual wedding. The families joining together are fantastic in their own right, and putting them together makes my heart happy. I can't wait for the wedding in August.

Sunday I got a big surprise.  The Atlanta Film Festival started over the weekend and when I was at the theater with Jessica I picked up a brochure to see what was playing and saw that Another Earth was showing Sunday night.  If you haven't heard about Another Earth, stop reading now and go watch the trailer.  The movie was written, produced and acted in by one of my childhood best friends, Brit Marling.  We met in elementary school Gifted class and spend years just hanging out together and with our sisters.  She went on to much bigger and better things than I have since high school and I'm so very proud of her.  Watching her on screen was amazing.  She was unbelievable.  I know this is the first of so many movies for her, I can't wait to see where her career takes her.


The story is one that will stick with you long after the ending credits finish rolling.  I had 6 friends with me at the viewing and we all stood outside the theater to discuss what the film meant and what Brit was trying to say with the ending.  Please go see this movie when it's released in July, you will not regret it.  I've already decided that I need to see it again and I can't believe I have to wait a few months to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment